This Week in War. A Friday round-up of what happened and what’s been written in the world of war and military/security affairs this week. It’s a mix of news reports, policy briefs, blog posts and longform journalism. Subscribe here to receive this round-up by email.
- Nelson Mandela is dead at 95. Here is his first televised interview from 1961.
- The Libyan assembly voted to make Islamic law the basis of legislation and state institutions.
- Egypt’s draft constitution, which must be approved by referendum this month or next, has been rejected by the Muslim Brotherhood.
- 30,000 Eritreans have been abducted and taken to Sinai for torture and ransom demands since 2007.
- Investigators uncovered a mass grave in Mali believed to be missing soldiers.
- The UN approves intervention in the Central African Republic.
- According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Syrian rebels shot an Iraqi freelance journalist dead at checkpoint.
- Shi’ite fighters from Afghanistan appear to have joined the fight on the side of Assad.
- The US will destroy Syrian weapons at sea.
- The Guardian held a live Q&A with Kilian Kleinschmidt, the manager of the Zaatari refugee camp.
- Syrian jihadist fighters (primarily the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) have kidnapped 50 Kurds, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
- French investigators find no proof of radiation poisoning in Arafat’s remains.
- Bedouin Arabs living in Israel are planning a day of rage in Negev to protest Israeli plans to resettle them.
- Lebanon puts Tripoli under military control.
- Hassane Laqees, a major Hezbollah figure, was assassinated in Beirut.
- 52 were killed in an assault on the Defense Ministry compound in Sana’a, Yemen.
- 12 mourners were killed at an Iraqi funeral Sunday. At least 20 were killed in violence across Iraq on Tuesday. Suicide attacks on Iraqi police intelligence headquarters and a shopping mall on Thursday.
- Bahraini activist Nabeel Rajab has been denied early release.
- US propaganda campaigns in Afghanistan designed by contractors are failing, and costing the US a lot of money.
- Filmmaker Chris Terrell on his experiences being embedded with the Royal Marines in Afghanistan.
- The impasse over the Bilateral Security Agreement continues. It was the big topic at the annual NATO conference.
- The Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction John Sopko has raised objections to the military finding that there was no wrongdoing in the decision to keep building a headquarters in Afghanistan that was unneeded, unwanted and ultimately unused. Sopko has said he is opening a new probe.
- Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index for 2013 has Afghanistan ranked 175th out of 177.
- The US military has halted supply shipments from Pakistan into Afghanistan as a result of protests against drone strikes.
- Imran Khan: Pakistan’s relationship with the US is one of “slavery not friendship.”
- Omar Waraich on Pakistan’s new top general Raheel Sharif for The New Yorker.
- A Pakistani working as a CIA operative speaks to Spiegel about his work.
- Maulana Fazlullah, newly elected leader of Tehreek e-Taliban Pakistan has returned to Pakistan.
- A reader’s guide to protests in the Ukraine.
- Ukrainian protesters settle in for the long haul.
- Two terror suspects currently in Guantánamo are suing the Polish government in the European Court of Human Rights over their torture at a CIA black site.
- Snowden leaks show that the NSA gathers 5 billion records per day monitoring cell phone geolocation and use across the globe.
Photo: Sanabis, Bahrain. A teenaged protester holds a stone during anti-government demonstrations over the death of 15-year-old Ahmed Abdul Ameer who died of injuries sustained during protest clashes. Mohamed Al-Shaikh/AFP/Getty
Nelson Mandela, the revered South African anti-apartheid icon who spent 27 years in prison, led his country to democracy and became its first black president, died Thursday at home. He was 95.
News Set content:
Obviously we knew this was a long time coming, sadly. That’s why there’s so much content in this post we’re reblogging. Mandela is a hugely important figure and this world is a far better place for his existence.
In a simple experiment, researchers at the University of Chicago sought to find out whether a rat would release a fellow rat from an unpleasantly restrictive cage if it could. The answer was yes.
The free rat, occasionally hearing distress calls from its compatriot, learned to open the cage and did so with greater efficiency over time. It would release the other animal even if there wasn’t the payoff of a reunion with it. Astonishingly, if given access to a small hoard of chocolate chips, the free rat would usually save at least one treat for the captive— which is a lot to expect of a rat.
The researchers came to the unavoidable conclusion that what they were seeing was empathy— and apparently selfless behavior driven by that mental state.
"A study by Science/AAAS shows that rats preferred freeing caged rats rather than eating food placed in the cage, suggesting that the rats show empathy, a trait only previously known to primates."
Just let that sink in.
- What to do when your friend is talking about suicide
- What to do if someone you know is overdosing
- What to do if your friend is hurting themselves
- First Aid for self harm
Finding Therapy, Doctors, & Medication
- Something Fishy - How will I pay?
- Mental Health America - How do I find treatment?
- Free/Cheap Medication
- The Medicine Program
- Find a Therapist
- Good Therapy.org
- Insurance Issues
- Qualities and Skills of a Good Counselor
- The Difference Between a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Therapist & Counselor
- Extreme Hunger During Recovery
- About Water Retention During Recovery
- 281 Reasons to Recover
- Relapse Prevention
- Dealing with Bloating in Recovery
- Bloating, Indigestion, & Feeling too full
- Talking to Others About Your Mental Health Issues
- Managing Stress
- Why You Must Eat
- What is ED Recovery?
- You have no obligation to be weighed
- Learning to Love Your Body
- True Facts Our Abuse-Culture Doesn’t Want You to Know
- Tips to Overcoming and Eating Disorder from Women Who Have Recovered
- How to Eat a Fear Food
- 16 Baby Steps to Help You Cope with the Pain of Perfectionism
- 10 Things to Do When You Feel Like Crap
- Why You Should NOT Self-DiagnoseSubstance Addictions:
Restrictive Eating Disorders:
- Phases of Recovery From a Restrictive ED
- Tips to Stop Restricting
- Why You Must Regain Weight to Recover
- Eating Disorder Support Groups
- Gaining Weight After Anorexia: What To Expect
- Dealing With Weight Gain
Binge & Compensate Disorders:
Binge ED/Compulsive Eating Disorders
- Food Addicts Anonymous Meeting Finder
- Overeaters Anonymous Meeting Finder
- The “I need to lose weight” Mindset with BED
- Eating Disorder Support Groups
- Daily Meditation for Compulsive Overeating/Binge EatingGeneral Anxiety:
- Coping with Suicidal Thought
- 10 Tips on How to Work Through Feelings of Social Isolation
- 8 Tips to Overcome Loneliness
- Tips On Dealing With Depression In College
- Antidepressants: Selecting one that’s right for you
- What to expect with antidepressants
Family and Friends:
If you see this, fucking reblog it. I don’t care what type of blog you have. fucking reblog this. If you follow me and don’t reblog this, unfollow me.
Woah friend this is a happy support post no need to start swearing and making demands. No one is obligated to reblog anything.
I’m going to a mental hospital
That means I won’t post much the next three months. I’ll try to post at least on the weekends but I can’t promise you that. I hope you don’t mind, I will be thinking of you all.
Stay strong and healthy!
Love you all, Nata.
I present you something special because today we have World Aids Day 2013
Say yes to safe sex
Making the first move might be scary, but more guys than you think have sex with other guys. It’s natural, and if you’re safe you’ll have a great time.
And what’s safe? Kissing, cuddling, licking, stroking, wanking, oral sex (avoid cum in the mouth), vaginal and anal sex with condoms and water-based lube.
For more information on safe sex and discussion groups for young gay and bisexual men, call Mark at the Victorian AIDS Council.
Do you have any informations about this poster? It’s obviously not the newest campaign.
Want to talk: Try a chat room!
A friend just sent me a few links that might be helpful to a lot of you here, especially since I get a lot of asks about not being able to talk to anyone else about your mental illness.
Here are some chat rooms divided by their topics
- Mixed Nuts (trigger free)
Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Teen (18 and under)
Above is the “Know Anon” code that allows you to expose any hateful anons you wish at your own whim. If you know anyone who’s struggling with anonymous hate, reblog this for them.
- How to install
Simply copy the above code and paste it right after the <head> portion of the HTML coding on your blog. This is with the jQuery script included, so everything should be covered. Once you’ve done this, update and save, then exit your customize page.
Re-enter your customize page, and under “appearance” should be a button called “Enable Know Anon”, which may be on or off automatically, depending. Flip the switch to enable or disable it, then save.
- How to use
When you get anonymous hate or anon messages you find offensive, simply exit your Inbox, enter your Customize page, flip the switch to “on”, then save and exist. Re-enter your inbox, and any and all anonymous messages will be exposed with a URL, if they have one. Note that this includes everything, not just the hate. Another thing to note is that, once you expose anons in the inbox, you can’t un-expose them. Flipping the switch back to “off” does nothing.
Answer a message people thought was on anon, and gee, they’ll get a nasty little surprise, hmm? It’s better than a fake anonymous button because while you still can’t control who it exposes, you can control when to do so.
Remember though, that this isn’t the only way to stop anonymous hate. As always, there’s simply the “turn anonymous asks off” button. And thanks to the update from a few months ago, anons CAN be blocked.
That little hand right there? That’s the ignore button. It’s present on all asks sent, whether anon or otherwise. When you block an anon, you have the option to report them for spam or harassment, and it will permanently block them. It also blocks the IP address and computer, so that person can’t take advantage of extra accounts to continue sending you hate. It effectively wipes that person right out of your Tumblr life. They cannot contact your blog again, ever.
For the website that gives you the Know Anon code, with or without jQuery script, in case that causes trouble (most themes come with it pre-installed, but not all), go here.
[ Goodness, wow thank you very much for letting me know this existed! That was very considerate of you! ]
EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN GETTING LITTLE NO-LIFE SHITHEADS BOTHERING THEM.
Here you go. <3
I can’t get the code to work, can anyone help?
Trigger warning for sex tourism
PARADISE: LOVE - TRAILER
On the beaches of Kenya, they’re known as “Sugar Mamas:” European women who seek out African boys, selling love to earn a living. Teresa, a 50-year-old Austrian and mother of a daughter entering puberty, travels to this vacation paradise. She goes from one Beach Boy to the next, from one disappointment to the next, and finally she must recognize: on the beaches of Kenya, love is a business.
So are we supposed to feel bad for the white lady or nah?
why does the media keep tryina make me feel sorry for rich, amoral white ladies? I can’t do it…
I see these women a lot when I go to Mombasa. They’re literally just sex tourists and I side eye this film for trying to humanise them
I AM SO ANNOYED right now. I am so annoyed right now.
this is disgusting
also a good reminder that it isn’t only white men who engage in sex tourism
WHITE WOMEN ARE AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN COMPLICIT IN WHITE SUPREMACY
This stuff is very rampant all over Africa and the Caribbean. In Jamaica, they call it “rent a rasta” or a “rent a dread”. Divorced white women are blowing their alimony payments on “rent a rasta” in Jamaica. See a trailer for a documentary of it here.
In Nigeria, there are small pockets of women from the UK who have “rent boys” in cities like Port Harcourt, Uyo and Calabar. They prefer those places because they are very hospitable to foreigners, and it isn’t as congested or hectic like Lagos for instance. They can come and go as they please, and the likelihood of them getting scammed is much lower. They have boys the posted up in flats, and they visit them several times a year.
Make no mistake about it though, these women are predators. Their rent boys are usually young, around 18 and 19. You will rarely see them with men over 25. The younger ones are easier and cheaper to maintain, and they have high sex drives, which is why they are there. It’s a commodification of a taboo; sex with a black person. They get to live out their wild fantasies, and then they go home to their mundane, boring lives.
I’m always weary of white people in Africa in general. Be it ex-pats, vacationers, NGOs, UN peacekeepers, church groups or anyone else. There always seem to be ulterior motives with them, no matter how benevolent they appear on the surface. They will find a way to impose their sexual will and desires over people who are less fortunate. In the DRC, UN “peacekeepers” were violating young girls. Child prostitution was rampant, and many were leaving girls pregnant. See here. This type of thing is widespread.
When white folks go to some tropical getaway where only black and brown folks are, the impetus for a lot of those trips are cheap thrills and cheap sex. They didn’t fly half way around the world just to lie down on a beach. Especially if it’s a solo trip. They could have done that in locales much closer to home. 50 year old white men don’t go on solo trips to Kenya, the Dominican Republic or Thailand to take in the culture and to see the beach. They go for cheap sex, often with minors. White women are following their lead.
Anyway, what irks me about documentaries that focus on white women who partake in sex tourism is that they always try to humanize them, or make them out to be helpless women looking for love. No, these women are predators who are exploiting young men for sex. These dudes are poor. These white women aren’t going after the movers and shakers in society, or people with money in the countries they visit. They know what they’re doing and their targets are the poor and vulnerable. They wave a few bucks in their face so they can have their way with their bodies. This is what it is.
Be weary of white people in general in Africa? There are white people who live in Africa who are not looking for cheap thrills but were simply born there and had no choice. I understand what you’re intending to say but your wording needs to be adjusted slightly.
Towards the film, I don’t understand who in their right mind sides with offending party. Just because it makes a better and lighter film? Completely against how the film makers decided to frame this movie.
re: the bold
Anytime I’m remotely critical of white people in Africa, someone always makes this point. I usually ignore it, but I won’t today. This is the first thing that this person had to tackle and comment on. Out of all what I typed, this is was what they needed to address first. Ok then.
I’m an African. From the Niger Delta to be exact. It has been destroyed and exploited by white people, so my lived experiences tell me I should be especially wary of them. Places I visited regularly to see extended family have been destroyed and polluted. My people can’t fish and they can’t grow crops. It was their livelihood for generations. All that is left is ruin. Some of the white people responsible were born, bred or resided there because Royal Dutch Shell, BP, Chevron, Willbros Group, Exxon Mobile (btw Bill Gates is the largest shareholder in this company. Don’t believe his philanthropic BS. Exploitation is always at the root.) and other multinationals have been sending white people there to rob and exploit us for a very long time. Many of these white people live there and raise their families there. They are there eating good food, dancing to African music and fucking (literally and figuratively) African people, while their parents plunder the minerals in the country. These are the sons and daughters of a colonizing and brutal force who are only there because of unmerciful might and massive greed. There is no other reason. None. They didn’t emigrate to Africa at the behest or with approval from the locals. The driving force has always been greed. They came, they saw, they conquered. They seized lands that weren’t theirs. I won’t ignore that, or the history of white people in Africa.
The history of white people in Africa has a repeating theme, and it always ends with them propping themselves up at the expense of indigenous Africans. Usually in some kind of imbalanced relationship where they get to exploit the indigenous and claim the mineral wealth and assorted treasures for themselves. That’s when they aren’t sexually exploiting the locals, imposing their religious beliefs via missionary work, blindly working with unscrupulous NGOs who do more harm than good, claiming the rights to land that isn’t theirs, participating in slum tourism and exploitative photojournalism, or supplying the instruments of warfare to militias and warlords that will exacerbate unrest and civil wars, which makes it easier for them to further exploit the land and the people. We need to think about who facilitates the flow of weaponry used in African conflicts in the first place.
White people don’t go to be humble residents or to respect their host African nations. Not in the past, and not in the present. They don’t go to Africa to take a back seat to indigenous Africans, they go to commandeer and control. Often with bought and paid African leaders they use covertly, so that they can work behind the scenes and shift blame when the shit hits the fan. They impose their ideologies on unsuspecting people. They don’t look at the indigenous Africans as their equals. There is always paternalism, and Africans are always their subjects. They always go to Africa to take something. Even the white person who goes to Africa on a self-discovery trip to find themselves also takes. The people and the lands become a tool and a backdrop for whatever self-discovery crisis they are going through, and they will usurp the culture and land for their own benefit. It’s always about them and how they can benefit. Even when they appear benevolent, it’s always about them. The Africans are their backdrop. They cannot help it. This is how white supremacy works. It is systemic. It doesn’t matter if they have good intentions. Power dynamics will overrule intentions.
The children of white African nationals don’t get a pass because they had no choice in their place of birth, or because they don’t realize that they are part of an occupying force. Being citizens of an African nation by virtue of birth changes nothing. You need to think hard on how those Europeans ended up in Africa in the first place. Wherever there is a sizable population of white people in Africa, ask yourself how they came to be and how white lineage started on those lands. Once you come to terms with those findings, realize that those findings don’t get wiped out because those white people gave birth to kids on the continent, or because they have been there for several generations.
What kind of point is ‘someone didn’t have a choice in where they were born’ anyway? Does anyone have a choice in where they are born? That’s quite an irrelevant statement to make, and I’m not sure why people continue to make it as if it matters. Even when black people are being exploited by white people on their own lands, someone has to chime in to defend white people. It’s very unbecoming, and it lets me know what your priorities are.
not just followers, everyone.
I’m here if any of you need to talk<3
The best part is, this post actually does something, it offers support, unlike one of those useless “reblog if you care” posts.
I made this because I’m really sick and tired of the stereotype that only skinny privileged middle-class white girls self-harm. That’s just not true. Statistics will tell you that this demographic is more likely to engage in self-harm but those numbers represent what is found and reported, not what is done. Frankly, there hasn’t been much research on the subject anyway. Self-harm is present in all different genders, sexes, sexual orientations, ethnicities, races, ages, and backgrounds. It also occurs in all different forms. In this image I portrayed the most common form, which is cutting, but self harm exists in many other forms including burning, hitting/punching, head banging, hair pulling, skin picking, and more. Don’t assume.
I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU’RE DOING STOP AND READ THIS
Ok Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, (yes groan, but listen up) has this new app out (iPhone and Android) that’s for people in abusive relationships. It’s called Aspire News and it’s disguised as a regular news app, but when you go to the “Help” section of the app, it leads you to domestic violence resources and also has a “Go Button” that when you press it, if you’re in a compromising situation, alerts local authorities as well as local shelters and starts recording everything that is going on.
Now, if you’re looking up resources on the app and your abuser is near, simply press the X button and it brings you to a random news page. Same goes for the actual foundation site.
ITS COMPLETELY FREE
SPREAD THIS, DONT JUST “LIKE IT”
This is pretty serious stuff. Bayer might be about to overturn the EC’s decision to ban the pesticides implicated in killing off the bees! If they win this case, it could be truly disastrous for both the bees and our own future. Please share, and please see the SumOfUs link (no affiliation) to make a donation to help the campaign to save the bees.
Early in 2013, the European Food Safety Authority stated that three specific neonicotinoid insecticides (imidacloprid, clothianidin, and thiamethoxam) pose an acute risk to honeybees, and the European Commission proposed a two-year ban on them.
This is due to go into effect on Dec 1st – and the ban was introduced because of mounting scientific evidence that these insecticides, produced by Syngenta and Bayer, have been the agents responsible for Colony Collapse Disorder – a major problem threatening both the bees and the safety of our own food supply!
However in a horrifying twist, and despite huge public opposition, Syngenta and Bayer are now suing the European Commission over their “right” to continue to produce the pesticides which have been implicated in the massive die-off of millions of bees. Yes, their “right”. Because as we know, corporations’ sole agenda is to make money. They cannot let a trivial thing like nature get in their way.
These insecticides continue to be produced and used on a vast scale in the USA and in other countries and are huge moneymakers for the chemical corporations…
This threw up a few red flags when some of the links led to wiki pages but I looked up the lawsuit and it seems to be legit. Bayer is trying to lift the ban on pesticides that have been linked to the death of millions of bees in Europe. This is, unquestionably, terrible enough on its own, because bees are amazing little insects and deserve all our love, but if all the bees in the world go extinct, human life as we know it will change drastically. Produce will virtually cease to exist. That is a big freaking deal.
In addition to the donation page listed above, SumOfUs also has a petition going around that is still in need of signatures to help stop this. And it needs to be stopped. We cannot risk losing any more bees.
Bees get a pretty bad rap, but honestly? The scary, stingy things you’re afraid of? Most likely wasps. Bees, particularly honeybees and bumblebees, are just these fluffy little cuddle balls that fly around and pollinate stuff. They won’t sting you unless you’re a direct threat to them, because if they sting you, they’ll die. Don’t be scared of bees. Be scared for bees.
I’ve done as much looking around as I can because I know Tumblr is a cesspool of misinformation, and this looks as legit as it gets. Please tell people, sign the petition, and donate if you can.
And in the meantime, if you’re a gardner, please try to encourage bees to come to your garden. You can use the tips listed here. There’s also some information about different kinds of bees you might run into, in case you’d like to learn more about bees and why they’re wonderful.
Thanks for reading, guys. Please share this.
REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT, REALLY REALLY FUCJING IMPORTANT
Please sign the petition. The health of bees has huge implications for everyone.
This is too important for me not to mention.
The book states: "Give 10 licks at a time, more if the child resists. Be careful about using it in front of others — even at church; nosy neighbors might call social workers."
This is literally a how-to manual on how to abuse and beat your children.
OH MY GOD. Okay stop scrolling and look at me. My mother actually used this book. I am a victim of this piece of literary evil, and let me tell you, it has left me with some seriously deep scars. It got to the point that my brother and I couldn’t even laugh. Laughter was considered “foolishness” and we would literally be struck ten times for it if she heard it. Let me reiterate that.
We could not enjoy ourselves or even be happy without being beaten.
One of the “Christian” cult families introduced this to her and yes, it is basically condoning serious child abuse. I actually personally believe in corporal punishment and let me tell you, THIS IS NOT CORPORAL PUNISHMENT. It is heavy abuse and it’s evil, evil, evil. I’m going to go sign that petition, and so help me, if you know of someone using this book, call Child Protective services immediately. The children of that cult family are now actually being rehabilitated because they grew up like robots. It’s a sick fucking book, okay? Sick. Let’s get this thing banned before it ruins anymore lives.
I am the way I am today because of this hideous thing. I cry every time someone even gently reprimands me. I’m afraid of cutting up in public because I think someone is going to hit me. Worst of all: It taught me to tolerate abuse, that I deserved abuse, and that if someone abused me, I was clearly in the wrong. I can’t possibly begin to tell you how dangerous it has been for me. Thanks to people around me who were raised right, I am only now starting to learn to stand up for myself and that, no, I am not an idiot who deserves verbal, physical, emotional, or mental abuse. I am not just a child who will forever be subject to her power-hungry mother.
Most of all… Children are not animals. And really, who the fuck even treats an animal like that??? Please, if you reblog one thing from me, please let it be this. I don’t want anyone else to go through what I did.
This is what happens when people follow the biblical rules of how to raise children. The bible literally says to hit children with rods and not let their tears stop you, one verse even says about children who should be killed if they do not obey and respect their parents.
I wonder when people will learn than bible was written by a bunch of idiots and you shouldn’t take everything in there seriously.
Q:hey what did fckh8 do?? i heard that theyre shit but i dont really know
A summary that just wouldn’t stop growing as I wrote it:
- Generally only focusing on gay men despite calling themselves an LGBTQ group.
- Perpetuates images of ‘sassy gay men' across their websites.
- Their posts featuring lesbians often show hot, young, white, feminine girls kissing, thus continuing the image of sexualized lesbians (and teenage girls in general) rather than focusing on inequality or any sort of intersectionality.
- Basically never focusing on trans*, pan, ace or non-binary people at all.
- But when they do mention trans* people, boy do they heck it up. (tw: misgendering) [EDIT: apparently they’re lying about the second one too wow]
- Casual cissexism everywhere.
- Supports Dan Savage, who is notoriously biphobic, transphobic, ace-hating, fat shaming, racist and ableist and just generally a horrible person. (Again, focuses on gay white men and no one else.)
- Also supports Family Guy, despite its history of being offensive to basically everyone.
- Also a bit of Lady Gaga in there too. (Issues with Lady Gaga)
- Uses quotes from cishet people rather than people who are actually queer, and then only quotes from gay people who are white/cis/able-bodied/etc (lots of Ellen Degeneres and Neil Patrick Harris). [EDIT: The point of this being the fact they ignore others on the LGBT+ spectrum, not any issue with NPH or Ellen.]
- Many of the images shared on their Facebook and tumblr are taken without permission or notification from people’s blogs (you only have to scroll down their facebook to see all the tumblr screen caps with their logo slapped on top.)
- When asked to remove these by the original posters, the people running the pages become immature and rude.
- Also stealing ideas and selling them.
- The entire Russian gay colouring book debacle which has the potential to do massive amounts of harm to innocent people in Russia.
- Their entire reaction to asexuality wow.
- Completely adverse to religion and uses child molestation (in relation to priests) as joke fodder rather than an actual issue.
- Lots of micro-aggressions, such as using ‘gays' and the whole idea of “no labels just human!”
In addition, their way of advertising using young children can be seen as questionable and people have also pointed out their exclusion of POC and the use of sassy/angry black people as jokes (being white I can’t really comment on this, but I’m sure there are more examples).
How much of their profit is actually getting donated is also a question nobody can really answer.
On a much lesser note, people also have taken issue with their customer service. Definitely not as important, but a nice little fact to end on. [EDIT: This is actually a bigger thing than I thought wow they’re terrible.]
It also speaks wonders that I could find nearly every example needed in this answer by scrolling through the ‘FCKH8’ tag and their facebook and tumblr posts from the past week alone. These are all current and continuing issues that aren’t looking to be solved any time soon.
EDIT: A note that different people may find these points varying levels of offensive/not offensive. I was just listing things that felt potentially problematic and have been complained about before. Also I’m updating this list every so often since people keep bringing new things up.